Welcome to Nebraska Wesleyan University. At NWU we use Okta as our Identity Provider and MFA source.
First thing you should do is take out a piece of paper, or open a password management app like BitWarden or Keeper, and think up a password.
- 14 or more characters
- Uppercase Letter(s)
- Lowercase Letter(s)
- Special Character(s)
Now that you have your new password picked out let activate your account. You should have received an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Welcome to Okta at Nebraska Wesleyan University!" in your personal email account. If you do not see it try searching and also remember to check your Junk Mail. That email is key to activating and setting up your NWU account. If you can not find it you will need to contact NWU User Services at (402)465-7777 to get another one sent to you.
- Now that you have the email open it up and towards the bottom in the center you will see a button that says "Activate Okta Account", click on that.
- A web page will open up and will ask you to Set-Up your password and a security question.
- First click "Set up" under the Password section.
- Enter your new password from above twice and then click "Next".
- It should accept your password and take you back to the "Set up" window with just "Security Question" remaining.
- Click on "Set up" under the Security Question section.
- From the dropdown select a security question you think is best and will remember.
- Enter your answer to that question in the field and click "Next".
- You will now see a screen with 3 optional additional security features you can enable. It is HIGHLY recommended to at the minimum setup the "Phone" option.
NOTE: Your phone must receive text messages but can be a smart or simple phone.
- To setup the Phone option click "Set up" under it.
- Most people will want to leave SMS (Text Message) checked, but you can instead do a phone call and setup your desk phone by selecting "Voice Call".
- In the window that opens click on the drop down to select a country if your phone is not a US cell phone.
- Enter your 10 digit phone number and then click "Receive a code via SMS" or if you selected voice call the button should say "Receive a phone call"
- You will be sent to a screen that asks you to enter the code you received, then click "Verify"
- You should be back at the optional features page, you can choose to setup the other two, or click "Set up later" to finish your account activation.
You are done! Your account is activated and the password you entered is the password you will use on all connected services.
NWU does require password changes every 120 days and Okta will notify you when you need to change your password.